What is your favorite placement?
- Special events. It’s a great placement for a work from home mom. I could choose shifts that worked with my schedule during the weekday and we helped during various JL events, so I got to see different areas that the League works with. I enjoyed my group I was with and it helped me form strong friendships within the League.
Why did you get involved in the JLM?
- Not originally being from Memphis, I knew that it would be a wonderful and fun way to get involved and learn about our community. I also knew that I would be surrounding myself with the most driven and successful women in our city. I’m so glad I did! I’ve made so many friends and continue to be inspired by them and the work they do.
What have you learned from being a member of the JLM?
- That it takes a village! Every position and every effort helps, no matter how small. When this many women come together, great things can happen!
What advice do you have for other members about choosing a meaningful placement?
- Start with what you’re passionate about and think about what you personally can bring to the table to help the organization out.
What’s been your favorite GMM location and/or speaker?
- I love the GMM meetings at The Orpheum. Any excuse to go to downtown and a dinner with friends afterwards!
What is your occupation?
- I am an artist. I have been so lucky to do what I love and grow Dorothy Art for the past 7 years. I’m recently most excited about my new shadowbox painting series that I started creating since getting back in the studio from maternity leave last month. I’m honored to be the Featured Artist at Bingham & Broad during Broad Avenue’s Spring Art Walk Friday, April 7th! Shameless plug! Follow along with what I’m doing in the studio and for upcoming shows on Instagram and Facebook!
Who has inspired you in your career/field?
- My family. My mother is an artist, so I gained a lot of trade secrets from watching her while I was growing up. A lot of the materials I use are a nod to my grandmother, who owned two antique stores. My baby boy Johnny has been a more recent inspiration through the new subjects I’m painting. My husband John always inspires me to keep going, no matter how much of a “painter’s block” I get. I’m so lucky to have them!
What is your favorite Memphis restaurant?
- Second Line. The food and atmosphere make me wish I was in New Orleans and Kelly English’s talent and hospitality are tremendous!
Who’s your favorite sports team?
- Die hard Ole Miss Rebels fan my entire life. Hotty Toddy! I love me some Grizz! Nothing beats playoff season in the Forum!!!
What is your favorite quote?
- “With every experience, you alone are painting your own canvas, thought by thought, choice by choice.” -Oprah Winfrey
What is the last book you read and would recommend?
- Sick in the Head: Conversations about Life and Comedy by Judd Apatow It’s his collection of interviews with his comedian friends and colleagues. It’s inspiring hearing those artists’ struggles and triumphs. Also hilarious!